Hardware and software vendors
Scope: assessing the Exascale roadmap by investigating state of the art and market trends, both in hardware and software. EESI2 leverages its network of contacts with HPC vendors and cooperates with ETP4HPC (a European Technology Platform for HPC forum led by industry) to develop this workpackage.
Challenges: Several challenges are known:
On the hardware side:
- energy efficiency of all system components,
- bandwidth requirements of the memory system,
- increased requirements in resilience,
- routing of interconnection networks.
On the software side:
- scalability to large number of tasks,
- programming models and tools,
- techniques for checkpoint and restart, by-en-large fault tolerance,
- maintenance of legacy codes,
- development of mini-apps and benchmarks